Saturday, May 21, 2011

Romegrot


Such an awful name for such a wonderful food. It really does sound like something that you should use in your bathroom to lay tile, but the smell and taste is next to Heaven. There are of course MANY recipes for this and mine is completely different than my Moms. I *believe* this one came from my Grandma Minnie. I will also warn a newbie to Scandinavian Foods, this is a love it or hate it food. My Mom, my sister and I LOVE it. My Dad stands firm on my comment about the bathroom tiles.

Romegrot

3/4 cup rice
1 quart milk
1 quart whipping cream
1/2 to 3/4 cup flour
1 tbsp butter if needed
a pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar

Directions:

1. Boil rice in milk.
2. Spray 3 quart saucepan with Pam
3. add cream to large saucepan.
4. Boil for 7 minutes
5. Stir in flour until butter comes out stirring continuously. Skim off the butter
6. If butter does not come out add butter to make it separate.
7. Add rice and milk mixture and mix well.
8. If you feel it should be thicker, add a little extra flour.
9. Add salt and sugar.
10. Serve warm with sugar and cinnamon.

Helpful tips:

Buy heavy whipping cream and whole milk. The higher fat content in Romegrot the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment